MSN Plus 2.21.55

PC-fre@k

[url="http://pages.infinit.net/patchou8/MsgPlus-221.exe"]Get it right here![/url]

For more info go to: [url="http://www.msgplus.net"]http://www.msgplus.net[/url]

General Questions

What is Messenger Plus! ?

You downloaded the software, or a friend sent it to you, and now you're wondering what it is all about? Messenger Plus! is an add-on for MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger, the two popular Instant Messaging softwares from Microsoft. Messenger Plus! adds different features to Messenger to make it more enjoyable for a regular usage. A list of the main features can be found on the main page of this site (click on the Features tab, next to Overview). Messenger Plus! is not a chat program, it only adds functionalities to Messenger, it can't be used as a standalone application.

Is Messenger Plus! an official add-on from Microsoft?

No, Messenger Plus! is not an official add-on from Microsoft. Microsoft is aware of its existence, it tolerates it (I've been talking with some people at Microsoft about this) but does not give any support about it. Also, Messenger Plus! has nothing to do with Windows Plus!, a product from Microsoft. However, all this doesn't prevent Messenger Plus! to be the most popular Messenger add-on (based on different web statistics such as download.com or mess.be) as long as one of the oldest and most respected one :).

Can I send Messenger Plus! to my contacts? Is it free?

Yes, you are allowed to send Messenger Plus! to your contacts as this software is entirely free. Messenger Plus! is a freeware, which means that you can redistribute it to whoever you want, as long as you distribute the setup package and not the files separately. If you want to promote the software on your web page, banners can be found here. If you want to include the software in a magazine or a public CD, check out this page.

I have a problem, where can I get some help?

If you have a problem that is not answered in this page or in the Tutorials, you can search in the forum or post a new help request. You can also check in the Live Chat if someone is here to help you. A lot of people are there to help you, take benefit from it! Please, do not send me any personal message to get some help, either from the forum or Messenger. Developing Messenger Plus! takes a lot of time so I can't give direct support myself, I hope you understand.

I have a suggestion, how can I send it to you?

Thank you for your interest, however, you should know that I already have enough ideas in mind to continue the development of Messenger Plus! for years :). If you want to give your opinion you can use the forum. Please, do not send me any personal message, they won't be answered (I'd love to but you have to understand that I receive way to many emails).

Every time I restart my computer, Messenger Plus! is gone. Why?

Messenger Plus! is using a technology that requires that any software using the same technology behaves correctly for all the softwares to work properly. This technology is called Global Hooking. If, after you reboot your computer, you don't see Plus! in your Messenger, it means that a program installed on your computer is causing some interferences. This can be your AntiVirus, your display drivers or anything else. Latest versions of Messenger Plus! have a built-in protection to help fix this problem. When Messenger Plus! 2.10 or above is installed and Plus! doesn't appear in Messenger, a special window will show-up that will allow you fix the problem.

Why Messenger Plus! doesn't have feature X? I know it's possible to do!

Some features are not included in Messenger Plus! for several reasons. Privacy is the first one: no feature will ever be added that could compromise the privacy or the security of your contacts or yourself (examples of such features are block detection schemes, send messages while appearing offline, ...). The second reason is conviviality: preferences panels with too many options are not very user friendly, that's why some minor settings are available only through the registry. The third reason is what could be called "politically correct": I use my own judgement to decide wether or not a feature should be added in Messenger Plus!. One of the reasons why this add-on is so much popular is precisely because I'm doing my best to take good care of it and some options just don't fit in my targeted audience.

How can I uninstall Messenger Plus! ?

If you do not want to keep Messenger Plus! on your computer, it's easy to uninstall it (note that the uninstaller has been improved since version 2.10). In Windows, click on Start\Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs. In the list that will be displayed, select Messenger Plus! and click on Remove. Messenger Plus! will be uninstalled quickly from your system. Program files will be removed only after you restart your computer (generated logs won't be removed automatically).

Important: do not try to uninstall Messenger Plus! by deleting the files yourself from your hard disk.

Will there ever be a Macintosh version of Messenger Plus! ?

No, there will never be a Macintosh version of Messenger Plus!, due to several things including these ones:

I, the author, do not have a Macintosh
The Macintosh platform do not have the technology (API) for an add-on like Messenger Plus!

How can I develop my own Messenger Plus! plug-in?

Since Messenger Plus! 2.20, developers can develop their own Messenger Plus! plug-ins. The simple Messenger Plus! API allows plug-ins to be developed quickly, in different languages (C/C++, VB, ...) and yet, add powerful features to Messenger. The complete documentation can be downloaded here.

Sometimes, Plus! doesn't work with Windows Messenger, why?

There is a known issue when you use both MSN Messenger 6 and Windows Messenger (any version) at the same time. If you launch MSN Messenger 6 before Windows Messenger then some features of Plus!, like the Event Log, won't work in Windows Messenger. If you want to use both Messengers at the same time with all the features of Plus! enabled, just start Windows Messenger before MSN Messenger 6.