GRAPHICS

NEO_2k

well, for all those who dont know and i bet everyone knows you cant run doom 3 and half life on a shitty geforce 2, i run a ati 128 rage so ' people with glass houses should not throw stones on other people' but hell cares.

so yea, u need a geforce 3 or greater as carmac said or you need ati 9xxx, our genious amara should know a lot

another thing

try gettin direct 9x cause there is toooo much aliasing with 8x i am surprised about this but *** happens

Well there is nothing not able to understand  :kewl:  and yea i accept your comment..... i too dont understand whats the major big deal with 9x and 8x but we will see the difference.. some one would have posted about it..... if you guys can find out keep me posted it is interesting :shoot:

[quote]so yea, u need a geforce 3 or greater as carmac said or you need ati 9xxx, our genious amara should know a lot[/quote]

sorry to be the slightly fanATIc guy around here radeon 8500 is probably the equivilant of the geforce 3 thus this card will be able to play it to.

[quote] i too dont understand whats the major big deal with 9x and 8x but we will see the difference.. [/quote]

Actually, [color=purple][b]* PC-fre@k understands a bit.[/b][/color]

The DirectX8 spec saw the implementation of programmable vertex and pixel instructions. This is why cards are said to have vertex shaders and pixel shaders... this gave game developers the power to create awesome lighting and complex animation. For example, the fairy in nVidia's dawn demo has many facial expressions and these are done using vertex shaders. The programmer can specify several programs e.g frown, smile or whatever and simply repeat it making coding very efficient.

However these facial animations in the dawn demo are relatively more complex than the dx8 spec. This is why the dx9 spec was introduced. Dx9 basically extend these shading capabilities allowing for things like more available instructions and so on...

The beauty of vertex shaders is they are scalable. You can have several vertex shader units on one card which speeds up geometry processing a lot because it is normally done by the CPU. UT2003 for example uses vertex shaders in some levels for purely speeding up rendering and not for effects. Cards are becoming more and more shader oriented. The GF3 started off with 1 vertex shader, GF4  2 vertex shaders and now the FX - a FP Array of vertex shaders.

This are the improvements in DX9 as I understand it (there are other imrovements too... like 10bit colour precision -dx8 and below do 8bit). All these hardware features are accessible with OpenGL also. Problem is manufacturers have put programs in vendor specific paths like

[i]GL_NV_vertex_program1_1[/i]

where there are programs on more generic paths like ARB (supported by both NV and ATi)

[i]GL_ARB_vertex_program[/i]

ATi has some of there own too. You can see what programs your card supports with Powerstrip. Anyway thats why most developers prefer to use D3D over OGL. Doom 3 is programmed to run in several paths... R200, R300, NV20, NV30, ARB2 to name a few. Edited by Tha_Rainman